- Published: Saturday, 16 January 2021 11:33
- Written by David DeCiero
Once the yeast had been added, I settled into the standard process of twice daily punchdowns and daily measurements. Once I had reached the 1/3 sugar depletion (around 1.060), I added 12 g of Fermaid K, which had been rehydrated in distilled water. The process was fairly slow and after 12 days, it had finally reached .998. After those 12 days, I used my press to press out all of the wine from the seeds and skins. I ended up with 17 gallons of wine. Of course, there was quite a bit of sediment in this. I always leave this while I run MLF, since I find I get better compaction and can rack off later. The final gravity was .998 and the pH was 3.32.
I added Opti-Malo to the wine and then rehydrated my favorite ML bacteria, VP-41). Once I had added those to the wine, I stirred it all together and let it sit. I stir daily after this for 3 weeks, before I run a MLF chromotography test. This test came back indicating that it was complete as shown below. I added 50 ppm to each carboy.